The Unbeliever


I could wax poetic about the loss of innocence,
the awkward-sad tumble into adulthood,
beginning at teen-age and tangling up your limbs ‘til your twenties.

I could go on about all sorts of global injustice,
about the campaign of terror being waged in the Philippines,
or the ethnic cleansing in Myanmar.

I could write tome after tome on love long lost,
a volume out of “I miss you. Please come home.”
until I rid myself of that final teardrop.

In their stead, I write the praise of the common sinner,
the unbeliever, the debauched heretic,
heir to the throne of kings of men,
ere he rises once again.

Building his kingdom atop a foundation of lessons hard-learned
No adherent of the faith is he
No dogmatic devotion to hold him back
No clergymen or handlers to cast influence
Convictions forged in the white-hot flame of a life well-lived

Does he know right from wrong?
Is there a wrong and a right?
He can tell the black from the white,
but finds life more fulfilling lived in the in-between.

Grey stone towers grasp at grey clouds,
and a grey stone keep climbs the grey horizon behind them.
Seated in the grey throne room is our friend the unbeliever,

ruling over a great grey kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Piece

Hot