A Prayer To No One


I've done a lot of evil things in my time.

Taken when I should have given
sold what I should have kept
sold out the ones I should've protected

Better believe I'll outdo myself
time and time and again,
if history proves any indication.

I'm not proud of it,
and it doesn't happen too often
but I'm human.

To be such is to be part sin.
Even if I don't believe in much of anything,
I think the Jesus freaks got that one right:

All people suck a little.

At least I hope they do,
so I can feel less the villain
and more the troubled hero.

So I ask not for forgiveness.
I knew what I did
wasn't good
and I did it all anyway.

I have a leaden ball of guilt
shackled to my ankles.

If we carry each other's,
could we move about easier?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Piece

Hot