2:15am

Quarter-past two and the grinding mill's still going strong
must be nice to be a Buddhist monk
knowing how to shut down that internal monologue
with little beside some quiet and discipline
I'm on empty
but my engine whirrs along

That's what I get for keeping my foot on the dead man switch

a head fulla thoughts
and nowhere to put them-
can you hire a cleaning lady for between the ears?

Malcolm Gladwell famously said it takes
ten thousand hours to master a particular task
I doubt my time opposite various shrinks, counselors, brain tinkers
meets his criteria
but you can bet your ass it gets pretty close,
considering I average an hour a week with the talker,
an hour a month with the doctor,
and a week-long stint in a funny farm every now and then.
Since around eight, in and out of offices.
Goddamn if it doesn't add up-
not ten thousand, but definitely several hundred hours.
At this rate I'll lock it down by middle-age,

if I can make it there.

It’s three AM
and here I sit,
smoking on a lit cigarette.

Two stray cats before me,
but nobody to my right.
The grasses grow tall in the empty moonlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Piece

Hot