Dirtbag Daydreams


I should never have read any Bukowski

Once I saw you could be a shlubby drunk
and a literary icon
at the same time
it got really hard to give a shit about being
"clean-cut" or "upstanding."
At this point I'll settle for standing up.

I should never have listened to Kurt Cobain

All those visceral, junked-out songs and
(defined liberally)
all that success...
Sure, the guy was severely depressed
but that's just more common ground.
Just gotta make sure I don't marry Courtney-
Would love to live past twenty-seven...

I should never have got into Lenny Bruce

That anthropomorphic middle finger of comedy
really resonated.
Loose, improvisational- jazz-jokes
I'm constantly riffing and making poor decisions,
Lenny did it first
and he redefined a fucking art form through it-
not in spite of,
but through the insanity

Hard to motivate yourself when you know it can be done;
deadbeats and degenerates
can still surpass all your dirtbag daydreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Piece

Hot