Kicking The Habit

It’s been a week since I gave up smoking,
more or less.
The occasional bummed smoke snuck through.

One while drinking.
One while playing D’n’D.
One during the big game.

I miss the quiet contemplation,
The thoughtful moments left only to the smoker.
Exposed to the elements
and solitude,
five minutes of uninterrupted time to the self.

I miss the light conversation with other smokers
gradually gaining weight.
The talk about the weather,
or good television,
or politics;
A veritable salon of knowledge,
high and low.

So I regret kicking the habit,
at least a little bit.
I guess I could just take time for myself,
or engage in conversation sans pretense,
but it just won’t be the same.
There’s something about slowly embracing a wheezing, out-of-breath death

that puts everything in its proper place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Piece

Hot